We are excited to announce this collaborative project between Wally’s Lights and Scott Hanson.
The WB1616 is a BBB cape controller based off of the FPP software. With 16 local, 16 Remote, and 2 DMX ports this controller is capable of controlling over 40,000 pixels. Both 12V and 5V pixels can be used with this controller by selecting the correct voltage on the left side of the board. Connect up to 4 Universal Differential Receivers to extend the range of your data lines and add 16 more ports. You can run up to 800 Pixels per port at 40fps and up to 1400 pixels per port at 20fps.
A manual is available Here.
16 Local Fused Ports with LED indicators
16 Remote Ports (available through the 4 - RJ45 Jacks)
Connect up to 4 Universal remote receivers to add 16 more ports
2 DMX ports
5V/12V switch (please ensure correct voltage is selected before adding power)
4 Navigation buttons and a test button
1 Boot button to force SD card Bootup
Header pins to add a Real Time Clock
Holes to add GPIO input output
Reverse Polarity Protection
Recommended to have basic FPP knowledge. This kit is meant as a beginner kit to get you started in the world of pixels.
This kit includes everything you need to get a simple and easy light show setup going. Included free is an SD card with FPP 5.5 preloaded. When you plug in the kit it takes about 5 steps to get it connected to your network and synced to your location and time. The Falcon Christmas Forums are a great resource for learning everything about Falcon Pi Player. Sequence your own sequences by using the xLights Software.
1 - WB1616 Controller Board
1 - OLED screen
1 - BeagleBone Black Rev C
1 - 16GB Micro SD card FPP v5.5 Installed (included in the Controller Bag)
Optional Add on:
1) Attach the Oled 4 pin display to the 4 female pins on the controller board
2) Mount the BBB on the bottom side of the controller board
3) Ensure the switch on the left side has the correct voltage selected
4) Connect power wires to the power input terminals on the board
5) Ensure xlights is closed
6) If you don’t have the latest version of xlights add this file to your xlights > Controllers Folder
7) Open xlights - Add ethernet controller (Vendor Wally's Lights - Controller WB1616)
If your UP button is not working it’s an easy fix.
Go to the fpp page of the Cape.
P8-09 check the box
Command “OLED navigation”
Save and reboot
The Upcoming changes to FPP 6
These boards will always work with FPP 5.5 and below.
Starting with FPP 6 you will need a license key to unlock the full capabilities of FPP. It is your choice if you believe you need FPP 6 or above.
Here is a brief summary of the upcoming changes to FPP:
All Orders prior to July 31, 2022 will be grandfathered into FPP 6 as referenced on the FPP page. Wally's Lights will make a donation to the FPP developers for all sales before July 31, 2022.
After July 31, 2022 you may purchase a license key here to unlock FPP 6 features..
Here is the official announcement from the Falcon shop website that this board falls under.
- Capes manufactured by Wally's Lights must have a license key applied to support more than 50 pixels per output and to enable Smart Receiver functionality. 3rd party BeagleBone/PocketBeagle capes which were previously purchased or purchased during the FPP v6 transition period will be granted a free license key voucher to allow those capes to continue to operate with full functionality. This transition period will extend through July 31, 2022. 3rd party BeagleBone/PocketBeagle capes purchased after this transition period will require the purchase of a license key.
- If you own a WB1616 , you will need to email some form of proof of purchase to email@example.com and we will send you a voucher for a free license key. The purchase must have been made on or prior to July 31, 2022 in order to receive a voucher. Voucher requests may be sent in starting on May 27, 2022. You will have until the end of 2022 to actually request a voucher.
Excellent controller for those props that is too large for 2 ports and too small for 16!
State of the Art
I WILL GIVE A DESCRIPTIVE REVIEW WITH VIDEO ONCE I HAVE IT ON A SEQUENCE. As of now it does seem to work perfect... In two more weeks ill give full details.
Wally’s board changed my life
I have many other manufacturers boards in my display, but after getting the all new WB1616, I plan on selling everything and using these. Only complaint is I don’t have clear boxes to admire its beauty.