We are excited to announce this collaborative project between Wally’s Lights and Scott Hanson.
The WB1616 is a BBB cape controller based off of the FPP software. With 16 local, 16 Remote, and 2 DMX ports this controller is capable of controlling over 40,000 pixels. Both 12V and 5V pixels can be used with this controller by selecting the correct voltage on the left side of the board. Connect up to 4 Universal Differential Receivers to extend the range of your data lines and add 16 more ports. You can run up to 800 Pixels per port at 40fps and up to 1400 pixels per port at 20fps.
A manual is available Here.
Ports 1-8 must have power applied for the BBB to receive power.
16 Local Fused Ports with LED indicators
16 Remote Ports (available through the 4 - RJ45 Jacks)
Connect up to 4 Universal remote receivers to add 16 more ports
2 DMX ports
5V/12V switch (please ensure correct voltage is selected before adding power)
4 Navigation buttons and a test button
1 Boot button to force SD card Bootup
Header pins to add a Real Time Clock
Holes to add GPIO input output
Reverse Polarity Protection
Recommended to have basic FPP knowledge. This kit is meant as a beginner kit to get you started in the world of pixels.
This kit includes everything you need to get a simple and easy light show setup going. Included free is an SD card with FPP 5.5 preloaded. When you plug in the kit it takes about 5 steps to get it connected to your network and synced to your location and time. The Falcon Christmas Forums are a great resource for learning everything about Falcon Pi Player. Sequence your own sequences by using the xLights Software.
1 - WB1616 Controller Board
1 - OLED screen
1 - BeagleBone Black Rev C
1 - 16GB Micro SD card FPP v5.5 Installed (included in the Controller Bag)
Optional Add on:
150W IP67 outdoor power supply 110V input and 12V output available here
4 Port Universal Remote Differential
Soundblaster Play 3 USB audio adapter
3D printed Meanwell mount or STL file
1) Attach the Oled 4 pin display to the 4 female pins on the controller board
2) Mount the BBB on the bottom side of the controller board
3) Ensure the switch on the left side has the correct voltage selected
4) Connect power wires to the power input terminals on the board
5) Ensure xlights is closed
6) If you don’t have the latest version of xlights add this file to your xlights > Controllers Folder
7) Open xlights - Add ethernet controller (Vendor Wally's Lights - Controller WB1616)
If your UP button is not working it’s an easy fix.
Go to the fpp page of the Cape.
P8-09 check the box
Command “OLED navigation”
Save and reboot
The Upcoming changes to FPP 6
These boards will always work with FPP 5.5 and below.
Starting with FPP 6 you will need a license key to unlock the full capabilities of FPP. It is your choice if you believe you need FPP 6 or above.
Here is a brief summary of the upcoming changes to FPP:
All Orders prior to July 31, 2022 will be grandfathered into FPP 6 as referenced on the FPP page. Wally's Lights will make a donation to the FPP developers for all sales before July 31, 2022.
After July 31, 2022 you may purchase a license key here to unlock FPP 6 features..
Here is the official announcement from the Falcon shop website that this board falls under.
- Capes manufactured by Wally's Lights must have a license key applied to support more than 50 pixels per output and to enable Smart Receiver functionality. 3rd party BeagleBone/PocketBeagle capes which were previously purchased or purchased during the FPP v6 transition period will be granted a free license key voucher to allow those capes to continue to operate with full functionality. This transition period will extend through July 31, 2022. 3rd party BeagleBone/PocketBeagle capes purchased after this transition period will require the purchase of a license key.
- If you own a WB1616 , you will need to email some form of proof of purchase to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a voucher for a free license key. The purchase must have been made on or prior to July 31, 2022 in order to receive a voucher. Voucher requests may be sent in starting on May 27, 2022. You will have until the end of 2022 to actually request a voucher.
Nice little controller
Cute controller. Used 3 of these in my 2022 show, 2600-7200 pixels each, 40FPS, no issues. Great for the small jobs, tucks into a lot of different enclosures. Also very versatile, has pixel, differential, and serial ports handy. Given the price and versatility, I would never buy a 16-port smart receiver ever again, as it is so much more flexible to use these.
Easy set up. Works great. Definitely as good as the kulps I have. Came with everything needed to get it set up. I wish it had came with FPP 6 license the only negative. I would buy this again.
I bought one of these boards because I needed to add a controller to my show, I was a bit skeptical at first since all my other boards were Falcons. But after getting one of these, setting it up I quickly got it up and running. It worked so well I added 3 more. These now make up half of my show, they have been rock solid so far!
For a first timer. So far so good.
Excellent product and fast delivery
First off let me say the time to receive the product was awesome. The quality of the item along with the price is great. The ease of setup and everything is pre loaded took less than 5 minutes to get a test strand running. The only down side I see is that you cannot run the latest version of FPP without paying FPP a license fee but, that really doesn't seem to be an issue and not Wally's doing. Excited for next season.
Bought this controller as a backup for my Falcon controller. I like it so much my Falcon is now my backup controller
Wally’s is the best
Items arrived super fast and theses pixels are filled to the top with epoxy. Much more than ray wu pixels!!!!
WB1616 - Works Great!
Very easy to set up and it has worked very well for my small show. Thanks for having it available!
My last controller was not able to keep up with my new props. I didn't have many options at the end of November so I gave this a shot. It came with the wrong firmware, but a chat with support helped me get it up and running in about 10 minutes. 5 stars for the product, and 5 stars for the support!
First Time Building
This is my first year into pixels. It has been something on my wish list for years. After some research I purchased this controller set up. I extremely pleased with the ease of set up and all the support out there. Last night was the first night I tested the entire setup and was beyond excited when it all worked as planned. I have 1600 pixel tree 600 pixel arche set and a 100 pixel star running on this controller and could not be any happier.